Friday, July 13, 2007

I hate FUNERALS!

My best friend, Sandy lost her step dad on Tuesday morning aroudnd 2am. He was recently diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma. He didn't suffer for long, which is truly a blessing. I have spent my week cooking and running back and forth between her mother's house in Hastings to our house. It has been a bittersweet time of remembrance. I knew the daughters while we grew up together. Sandy has 4 sisters, all of whome feel like sisters to me, we all have such fun when we are together. They treat me with love and respect, we laugh and tell stories about each other when we were growing up. I feel really close to them. Thier mother's name is Zora, but she has gone by the name "Gay" since I was a little girl.

Gay babysat for Karen when she was growing up, she played the role of concerned mother to me, and grandmother to Karen. Karen loved to go to her house and spend the day. Gay kept a card table set up in her dining room all the time for the kids to play on, they made craft projects with pipe cleaners, glue, glitter, egg cartons and whatever else they could get their hands on. I am sure there were days it housed a blanket and served as a tent. Gay was so fun, Karen loved her sense of creativity, and laughter. Gay is always laughing. That is what I love most about her. I know she will miss her husband, "Socky". He was a good man, the family grieves their loss, and so do I.

No comments: