Friday, February 24, 2012
Recipe Friday: February 24, 2012
Southern Fried Chicken
Copied from Paula Deen's Foodnetwork
1/3 cup water
About 1 cup hot red pepper sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon pepper
House seasoning, recipe follows
1 (1 to 2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil
1. In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange.
2. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the house seasoning.
3. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.
4. Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.
5. Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer then white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes.
6. Drain on a rack placed over a cookie sheet.
1 cup salt
1/4 cup black pepper
1/4 cup garlic powder
Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.