Friday, April 24, 2009

Recipe Friday April 24, 2009 Orange Rolls

Been wanting to try this recipe, but I am afraid of yeast. It's true. I am only comfortable with it when I am using it with my sister Michelle. She and I did the cinnamon rolls together when she got in the car wreck. I didn't fear it then, but the fear is still there....alone in my own kitchen.:

Orange Rolls

Mary Anne Best

2 packages yeast

1/4 C warm water

1/2 C sugar

1/2 C shortening

2 tsp salt

1 C hot water

3 eggs, well beaten

1 C flour

3 1/2 C flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside. Dissolve and cool the sugar, shortening, salt and hot water. Mix eggs and 1 cup flour well and add to sugar mixture. Add yeast mixture and remaining flour. Cover and refrigerate overnight. About 4 hours before serving roll out like cinnamon rolls and spread with:

1/3 C sugar

1/3 C butter

rind of one orange

Mix and spread on dough. Roll up dough and slice about 1 inch thick. Put in greased muffin tins and let rise 3-4 hours. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes. Spread with glaze made of juice of the orange and powdered sugar.

1 comment:

Maria said...

I admit that I just buy Pillsbury orange rolls at the local HyVee. I can't cook to save my life...but I like knowing that there are those out there who can still read and understand recipes.