I got this magazine:
And made this bread:
Apple Bacon Cheddar Bread:
6 strips thick bacon, diced
2 c. all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs ( I used large)
1 granny smith apple peeled and shredded (I put it in a mini food processor)
1/2 c unsweetened apple sauce
1/4 c. buttermilk
1 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1. Preheat oven to 350 F, coat an 8 1/2x4 1/2 loaf pan with nonstick spray, or grease.
2. Saute bacon in a skillet ove medium high heat until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel to drain. Reserve drippings.
3. Whisk together flour, salt and baking soda in a large bowl, make a well in the center, set aside.
4. Add enough oil to the reserved drip[ings to make 1/2 c. Combine with sugar and eggs in a large bowl, vigorously whisk until mixture is light colored. Add shredded apple, applesauce and buttermillk, stirring to combine.
5. Pour buttermilk-apple mixture into well of dry ingredients stir only until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in 1 c. cheddar cheese and the bacon. Pour batter into the prepared loaf dish.
6. Bake 50 min. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 c. cheddar on top of loaf, continue baking until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. About 10 min. (took mine 5 min.) Let bread rest on counter for 10 min. in pan, they take loaf out of pan and cool. This loaf can be frozen up to 1 month. Before serving thaw at room temperature.