Thursday, September 13, 2007

Halloween Spooktacular

Since I last posted, we planned on baking mini loaves of quick breads, large loaves, and gallon bags of homemade noodles to sell to fund the Spooktacular.

We baked all day on Saturday, making noodles and freezing them. So far, Michelle has sold 30 bags of nooodles as well as 50 or more loaves of bread. I have spend 2 nights this week at Deanne's making noodles while the other sisters make quick breads to fill the orders. It is quite an assembly line.

After it was all said and done, Michelle's work asked us to do a bake shoppe during the holidays so they can order candy, bread and fudge. It is something we are considering. The experimentation will begin tomorrow night while we all gather once again to make Cream Puffs to serve at the park on Saturday. We plan on having 12 dozen cream puffs to serve. One batch of 8 takes one hour to bake, it will be a long evening.

I purchased all the ingredients today to make peanut butter fudge and chocolate fudge. We'll do the math to see how much it costs vs. the formula to sell it, and see if it will be worthwhile. We'll also weigh it to see what the yield is for each type. The peanut butter recipe makes about 3#. I have to tell you, both fudges are something that I make each year during the holiday. Last year I made 6 batches of peanut butter because it was requested. I also make killer peanut brittle, but I don't know if it will be worthwhile. My recipe calls for 1.5 pounds of nuts. We will see.

No comments: