Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Another Book

I get the opportunity to read a book each week on Monday and Wednesday while waiting in an office. My life is too busy to take the time to sit and read, most books are consumed on my commute to work each day, I listen to them on CD while driving. It's a great way to catch up on the latest authors. However, we have a 'library' of books at work, we all bring them to share. It gives me a chance to try authors I would never give a second glance. THe book I am reading right now is by a very new author,"The Measure of a Lady" by Deeanne Gist.

It is the story of 3 children orphaned during a trip to San Francisco in 1849, their father wanted to settle there when he herd of the gold rush, but died of cholera enroute on the city. The children are left behind to make their way in the camps outside the city. There are no boarding houses or hotels for them to stay in, the oldest, a 20 year old beauty (aren't they all?) makes a deal with the 'hotel' owner in town to cook and clean for him in exchange for a place to live for her and her siblings. (Hotel owner is a loose term, he actually owned a saloon and gambling house, but for some reason only known to the author, he called it a hotel.)

Anyway, I am not finished with the book, but it has kept me interested, I like a book that does that.

No comments: