Friday, July 24, 2009

Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding

I made this for my nephew Josh's wedding to Leslie, they married at the camp ground last weekend. I didn't make the vanilla sauce because it had to be served warm. There would have been no place to keep it warm. Steve whined about me not making him some. In my quest to be sure I had enough cinnamon bread (couldn't find cinnamon rolls, so used this great bread I found at Wal-Mart, I got 3 little loaves, it ended up being 24 cups of torn pieces, enough to make 2 9x13 pans!!)

I think it was pretty good. But Steve couldn't quit talking about that sauce and how good it was. I really think the vanilla bean paste made it have much more flavor. Next time I am going to make the sauce with regular pure vanilla and the other to see if it is really that different!

Cinnamon Roll Bread Pudding


Bread Pudding:

6 -8 day old cinnamon rolls, torn into small pieces (about 12 cups)I could not find cinnamon rolls that weren't covered with frosting, so I used a very dense moist raisin bread I found at Wal-Mart in the bakery area (took 1 1/2 loaves) (PHoto of the bread below)


1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1 quart milk
5 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup butter or margarine, sliced

Vanilla Sauce:
1 1/3 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup sugar, divided
4 Egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used vanilla paste, it was incredibly good!)


For bread pudding, place cinnamon roll pieces in a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle raisins and pecans over rolls. In a large bowl, beat milk, eggs, sugar, and vanilla until well blended; pour over rolls. Cover and chill overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Dot mixture with butter slices. Place dish in a roasting pan; fill pan with hot water halfway up sides of baking dish. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until bread pudding is set in center.

For vanilla sauce, heat whipping cream and 1/4 cup sugar in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Combine egg yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a small bowl; beat until well blended. Stir some of hot cream mixture into egg mixture; return egg mixture to double boiler. Stirring constantly, cook 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly and coats a spoon. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm sauce over bread pudding.

YIELD: about 15 servings.

Bread from Wal-Mart

5 comments:

Brandy said...

It was still really yummy without the sauce, if you didn't know about it.

supermom said...

and, where did you find this recipe? i am going to have to try this one. looks yummy!

Family Room said...

The cinnamon bread from Great Harvest Bread Co. would be awesome for this!! And, hubby has to fly to Mexico for his work in a couple of weeks and I'm having him pick me up some real vanilla, would you like some?

Cindy said...

Leslie, that would be more than generous of you to have him get me some, can he get one for Karen, too?

Karen, found this on the internet.....I tweaked it, using half and half instead of milk, and the vanilla bean paste, and the cinnamon bread, otherwise exactly like the recipe says! HAHA

Brandy, the sauce kicks it up another notch!! TRUST ME!!

Family Room said...

I will have him get one for you and Karen!! :)