Friday, March 6, 2009

Recipe Friday March 6, 2009Calico Beans

One of the recipes we used to have in the winter, nothing better than a pot of calico beans when it is snowing and blowing outside. We haven't had these in a long time!

2# hamburger
1 medium onion, chopped
1 16oz. can Northern Beans (Drain)
1 16oz. can Pinto Beans (drain)
1 16oz. can Pork and Beans (drain)
1 16oz. can kidney beans (drain)
1 16oz. can lima beans (drain)
Brown Sugar (about 1/2c, to taste)
Ketchup (TO taste)
Open Pit Hickory flavor BBQ sauce (to taste)
salt
pepper

Chop onion, place in skillet with hamburger, brown and drain.In a 4 Qt saucepan add all beans, drained. Add brown sugar, ketchup, BBQ sauce, salt and pepper. I generally add the brown sugar, ketchup and BBQ Sauce to suit my tastes. So, I pour and squirt it in, stir it up good, then taste it. If I think it needs more of one or the other, then I add. I have never used the whole jar of BBQ sauce before, but that is our preference. Heat thoroughly. Serve with garlic bread and vegetable or salad.

No comments: