Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Work Potluck today

Ok, today is a pot luck for March birthdays. I made 2 chicken pot pies, baked when I got home last night. I didn't photograph them, but they look prettier than the one in the other post. I keep changing the recipe around, but here it is:

Chicken Pot Pie (semi-homemade)

2 pastries for 9 inch pie
2-3 chicken breasts
2 c. frozen mixed vegetables
1 sm. onion chopped (I use frozen chopped onions, cuz I am lazy, about 1/3 c. )
1 stock celery chopped
2 T. olive oil
1 1/2- 2 c. frozen hash brown (the southern ones that are CUBES)
1 can chicken broth
2/3 c. milk
1/3 c. flour

For the chicken breasts, , cook any way you want, baked, boil, etc. I bake mine with a little olive oil, parsley, onion and garlic powder sprinkled on them in a foil lined pan for about 20 min, or til done, then cut into cubes when done. I like them baked for this, but I am not sure why. Usually I have these already in the freezer cooked, I buy the big packages of boneless skinless breasts at wal-mart and cook them all at once so they don't go bad, then when I need one, I thaw and use them in recipes. But, there are only 2 of us at my house, so things have to be done this way, or I toss out a lot of meat.

I put the olive oil, onion and celery in a pan and cook until the onion is translucent. Add the 1/3 c. flour, stir it around, then add the milk and chicken broth, stir until it is thick, then I add the vegetables, and the hash browns. I cook until it is all hot, add the chicken. I roll the pie crusts to enlarge them a little, because there is too much filling to put in a 9" pie plate. You can bake the bottom crust a little, or just put the filling in the pan. I put it all in a 10" pie plate, place the top crust on, puncture it to let steam escape, bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 min. Watch it close so the crust doesn't burn. Weird thing is, the store bought crust just lays there perfect, and the pie doesn't run over in the oven. I have not used home made crust for this recipe, as I don't have any in the freezer at this time, and I was too lazy to make it at home.

That is all there is to it, they are pretty nice looking, and they are FULL of filling, unlike the ones you buy at the store. Even the expensive ones don't have much filling. (Marie Callender's) Part of the reason I make them at home is the ones at the store are mostly liquid. They aren't very good, the men at work are teasing me they weigh about 10# each. HAHA, I guess I want my pie full of goodies!

Friday I have another one of these, but the managers are supplying a 6' submarine sandwich. We have to bring dessert and/or a side dish. I am not too thrilled about that one, and may just skip doing it altogether. I don't think I will have time to do 2 fruit pies, and I have no cool side dish recipes, unless any of you have one I could try. I will need at ASAP so I can buy the ingredients.

Now I am going to cower in the corner and hope what's her name doesn't sue me for using semi-homemade in my recipe title, LOL.

OK, Edit to add: If you like to make pie crusts, or find it to be a daunting task, here is a link to all you ever wanted to know about pie crusts, but were afraid to ask. I found the information useful, I wondered why the ice water I used suddenly produced a beautiful, flaky crust, even though the recipe was the same.. WHO KNEW? .....the scientists know:

http://www.baking911.com/pies_tarts/101_ingredients.htm

2 comments:

Deanne said...

Take the macaroni and corn casserole dish. It's so easy and you can put it in the crock pot or your little electric roaster. You can put it together at work that morning and it will still be done by lunch time. Do you remember the recipe? If not here it is:
1 can cream corn
1 can whole kernel corn (undrained)
1 stick margarine
1 cup large elbow macaroni
1 cup velvetta cheese
Mix all together and bake at 375 covered for 30 minutes then uncover and bake for 30 more minutes or until macaroni is tender.
I take this to potlucks all the time and use my crockpot.
Love ya
Deanne

supermom said...

the chick pies sound yummy.