Friday, June 6, 2008

Recipe Friday June 6, 2008

I saw this cake on Paula Deen's magazine cover and knew immediately I had to make it for my hubby. He does so much for me, I love to treat him to chocolate treats. He lives for chocolate. Here's the magazine cover:



















I was intimidated by the recipe, it had 3 parts. The mousse in between each layer caused me to almost panic, I have never made anything so fancy before. But I followed the recipe exactly, and it came out perfect. I didn't have 2 9" square pans like I thought, so had to bake 3 cakes. All in all, it turned out pretty good. I don't shave or curl chocolate, so I had nothing pretty to decorate it with. The taste is pretty good, I am NOT a chocolate person. Steve says it is fantastic. I will be making it again. When shopping the next time, I will look for a pretty platter to put it on, it is worth it.














I wish it looked as pretty as Paula's, but it tasted good.You would think with all the chocolate it would be sickenly sweet, amazingly it isn't. It is really light and has a pretty 'soft' chocolate taste. Steve really liked it, he's the chocolate guy at our house. Warning: HAVE PLENTY OF COLD MILK TO GO WITH IT!


Dreamy Chocolate Mousse Cake:

2 C. Flour
2 C. sugar
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 c. milk
1 c. strong brewed coffee
3/4 c. vegetable oil
1 Large Eggs

Dreamy chocolate Mousse, (recipe follows) Chocolate Fudge Frosting (recipe Follows) Grnish with grated chocolate, and chocolate curls, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and Flour 3 9x9 pan, square or round. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add Milk, coffee, oil, and eggs. Beat at a medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.

2. Pour evenly into prepared pans and bake for 23-25 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.

3. Using a serrated knife, cut cake layers in half horizontally to make 6 layers, place 1 cut layer, cut side up on a cake plate, spread with one fifth of the chocolate mousse. Repeat procedure with remaining cake layers and mousse. Freeze cake for 1 hour. Spread chocolate fudge frosting evenly over top of cake and up sides. Garnish with chocolate curls and grated chocolate.

Freezing the layers for 1 hour helps the frosting spread easier on the cake, ask me how I know..............never try to deviate from the recipe the first time you make one.

Dreamy Chocolate Mousse

1 envelope unflavored gelatin
3 Tablespoons cold water
1/4 c. boiling water
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
3 c. heavy whipping cream

1. In a small bowl, soften gelatin in 3 tablespoons cold water. Let stand for 2 minutes. Add boiling water, stirring until gelatin dissolves, set aside.

2. In a small bowl, combine sugar and cocoa powder.

3. In a medium bowl, beat cream at medium speed wit an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add sugar mixture, beating until stiff peaks form. Stir in gelatin mixture. Cover and chill 4 hours.

Chocolate Fudge Frosting

1 c. sugar
1 c. heavy whipping cream
5 (1 oz.) squares unsweetened chocolate
10 Tablespoons butter
1 c. confectioner's sugar

1. In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and cream. Bring to boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat, and simmer for 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat, add chocolate and butter, stirring until melted and smooth. Let stand 10 minutes. Whisk in confectioner's sugar. Let mixture cool until it reaches a spreadable ocnsistency.

No comments: