Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Hump Day!

Got back to work yesterday, hit the floor running. I have a new project due to go-live in October. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be a project manager. Didn't even know what they were until I became one. My performance review was yesterday, apparently I am doing a great job. (I don't feel very confident about that, since I don't feel like I know what I am doing.) At least in nursing, I knew what to do and where to find information if I needed it. This is a whole different animal. I have a great mentor in my boss, she is just amazing. The hospital has utilized her talents for approximately 10 years, she blazed the trail in the organization. I am very fortunate to have her as my boss. She doesn't read this blog, so don't think I am sucking up.

Isaac has been turning wands on the wood lathe. The Harry Potter phenomenon has caused a huge need/want for this type of thing. They are really pretty neat. He charges $4/$5 each for them. He has researched them on the internet to gain an understanding of the type wood to use, as well as length. They are anywhere from 11 1/2"-13 1/2" long. I didn't like him making them at first, but I have to admit, they are pretty neat. I'll have to get some pictures to post. He's going to sell them at the local craft show in Oct. or Nov. I don't remember when it is.

Going to a wedding this weekend at the Castle Unicorn, the reception is held there, also. I have never been there, haven't even gotten a wedding gift for the bride and groom. I better get hopping, I think. The girl didn't register at very many places, and only for about 5-10 items. She has invited 250 guests, it amazes me that the brides never register for anything, then the guests are left to their own devices. I wouldn't want to get a purple yard gnome, a tiger striped shower curtain, or whatever. Many people are clueless about gift giving. I would be more specific, but that is just me, I've gotten very anal over the years. Drives Steve insane.

Only 2 months and the grandbabies are coming to visit. Noah's birthday will be around that time. I can hardly wait to see them again.

2 comments:

Deanne said...

Good for you!! I guess I didn't realize you were a project manager now. THAT is a lot of responsibility. They must have a lot of faith in you or they would have never entrusted you with the role. Who would have guessed that your nursing degree would have gotten you where you are today. Were the long nights and dirty house worth it?
I am very proud of you and I know you are doing an awesome job cause that is just the way you are!
Love you
Deanne

Cindy said...

Yes, it is a very responsible job. The project I am working on now is $600,000. The last one was $475,000. I get really nervous trying to keep it on time and on budget. The key thing for me is it presents a challenge. To answer your question, NO, I did not think nursing would lead me here. This is a brand new, upcoming career. Project Managers are in huge demand. I am fortunate enough to be given the opportunity without having my PMP. But, my boss and the other girl that have been doing it for years did not have the PMP. My boss just recently obtained hers. It is not an easy thing to get, it requires several thousand hours of experience, endorsements by the organization, and a strenuous test. I am not sure I am up for that challenge, but will one day take it on, especially if I decide I want to advance within the department.