Monday, August 20, 2007

TOMATOES coming out my ears, my toes, my nose.....AND a BRAG on my Dear friend, AIMEE!

Yesterday I was gifted with some tomatoes from a woman that works in our local Casey's store. She told me she had a ton of them, and to come get them. I wanted to make salsa (Something I never have ever made, but I want some anyway) I had told my little brother Ron this a week ago, he usually brings tomatoes to me, but he didn't. I put it out of my mind, but Deb asked me if I wanted some for Salsa, I jumped right on it. I went down to pick them up, I ended up with a huge rubbermaid container full, a large dishpan and a box. I got a recipe from Dianne (thanks, SIS!) I needed green peppers, jalapenos, and a few other things, incl. jars. Today I came to work, our department gardener brought in a whole box of jalapenos, and green peppers. SCORE! I don't have to buy them now.

After work I am going to get jars, and the other things I need, and start the salsa making process after I get home tonight. I understand it is quite a process. But, I am up for the challenge.

One of my dear bead making friends went to NC to tape a segment for a stained glass show last week. She has been testing some lampworking tools for a man that makes tools. He gave her name to a woman that does a stained glass show, and told her to get Aimee on her show, because he liked her creativity with his tools. Here she is on the set:



This is her with Vickie, I have not seen the show, but I plan on watching it now!



This is Aimee with them taping:


I am not sure how many of you know I do lampworking, it is an ancient art form, glass was melted over a flame to creat beads worn in adornments. They were created by melting glass over a lamp, thus the name lampworking. You can see Aimee's torch on the counter in front of her, it is a surface mix oxygen/propane torch used to make a clean flame that will melt the glass at very high (2000+F) temperatures. The glass is then wound on a metal rod coated in a clay like substance. The bead is then placed in a kiln, controlled to cool the glass very slowly. (A process much the same as 'tempering'.) This stabilizes the glass so it will not shatter. I became addicted the first time I ever saw the process. My husband built a studio on the back of our garage that serves as a studio. All of my lampworking tools/tanks/kiln, etc. are housed in that structure. It allows me a place to do my art, I literally melt away the hours in there. (Pun intended).

This hobby has taken me to ABQ, New Mexico, Portland, Oregon, Tucson, Az., Phoenix, AZ., Louisville, KY., as well as provided me with an income to support the hobby. I have enjoyed doing it, along with making many new friends along the way.

1 comment:

TanyaMcGuire said...

Wow! I didn't know Aimee was doing this! too cool